Saturday, February 20, 2021

Woodland Scenics Layout

STARTING with a KIT

 I purchased a Woodland Scenics “Scenic Ridge” kit to help start my layout. The enclosed n scale track plan will need to be modified for better use for a railroad logging layout.



I figured it would be easier to start with a kit for a few reasons;

• more cost effective than buying separate items

• the track kit is included (code 80 Atlas track pack)

• the kit can be modified to many different layout configurations

• this layout fits a 3’ x 5’ area, smaller than my planned 4’ x 6’ layout

The hard part of planning will be trying to include elements from all 3 prototypical logging operations and fitting as many elements as I can and not over-crowd the scenes. I’d like to include a mountain at various elevations, a waterfall, stream and logging pond, a main lumber mill, a smaller spike camp mill, a spar hoist, engine maintenance yard, a small town and logging camp & operation.

Some layout ideas I like:




Some elements I want to incorporate for the main mill site.






No comments:

Post a Comment

  Shaver Lake Mill & Flume While camping at Shaver lake (August 2022) I visited the Museum of the Sierra at Camp Edison. They had displa...